Friday, January 29, 2010

Annie Proulx: Fine Just The Way It Is

I'm falling behind, so I'm going to post briefly about the books I've read over the next few days. The posting, not the books. The books have been read, they're not going to be. Oh, you know what I mean.

This was my other Christmas book from my husband, and I, of course, liked it a lot. By now it's been weeks since I read it so I can't remember which short story was my favourite, sadly, but I do remember that my least favourite were the "funny" ones on the "Satan redecorates Hell" theme. Oh, now I remember my favourite, a really sad story about two youngsters at the end of the 19th century who get married and plan this great life in their remote cabin, and then it's all ruined. It's like a memorial over all those people in history who where nobodies and have never been remembered - only buried, if they're lucky. Very moving.

No comments: