Thursday, August 26, 2010

Ellery Queen: A Fine and Private Place

This entry was started on the 8th of March 2009. 4rlz. If I had anything else to say, I don’t remember. This is what I wrote more than a year ago, and this it what I shall post now:


A wonderfully complicated whodunnit. Oh, I really must read more Queens, I can't believe I haven't done so already. They're educational too - why, I have learnt that in 1971 (when the book was published), gay men were indeed gay and people were quite open about that. Frankly the storyline borders on silly, but I don't care much. We have a wealthy business man with a superstition about the number 9 and a young and beautiful wife he blackmailed into marrying him, who is murdered in a baffling way, whereupon baffling 9-clues start arriving in the post. Ta-daa.

I have read several Queens since then, but hardly ever used ta-daa in a written sentence. I don’t think I ever reached this level of exuberant giddy joy either. Where on earth did that come from?

I think I had something else to say, something about homosexuality in crime fic, something that wasn’t completely frivolous, but … well.

No comments: