Sunday, August 21, 2011

Colin Cotterill x 3 (2? No, let's say 3)

As previously stated I read Anarchy and Old Dogs before going to Ireland. That's the one in which Dr Siri discovers a plot to overthrow the Communist government and thwarts it. He's not having the Royalists back even if his hopes of an equal and free Lao society are turning to Cold War Communist red tape dust. I liked it so much that I got my cousin the first one in the series - no, the second I think it was.  I've yet to read it myself though ironically, and the library doesn't have the first three at all. So I might buy them. However, I'm sort of reading them in order, as I read Curse of the Pogo Stick next and after that The Merry Misogynist. I liked the latter the least; not because it isn't well crafted or whatever, but because it introduces the by now rather cliché serial killer theme. I kept imagining this being filmed. There's already so much on-screen these days portraying  violence towards women - rape scenes, naked mutilated bodies, CSI and so on. As Wennstam notes in Alfahannen somewhere, this too serves to objectify, however much the creators may think it's to inform or whatever. Bla bla. Anyway, felt a bit meh, same old same old. Curse of the Pogo Stick was quite obviously written in order to introduce the plight of the Hmong people more than anything else, but that's okay. I liked it better. One con is that there is a fair bit of repetition "Dr Siri remembered how he only a few months ago had ..." and then a quick recap of the last book. You know. But fairly inevitable in this type of literature. Take the good bits and enjoy them, I say! I like these a lot. I think I'll buy myself the first three - I can always donate them to the library after I've read them.

4 comments:

Ing said...

Haha! and please remember that it was me that told you to read this author!! *is very proud of myself*. Did you ever read "Killed at the Whim of a Hat"? It's very new so might not be out in Sweden yet. I found it quite good (it seems to be getting mixed reviews), I missed Dr Siri's escapades but the new "heroine" was good too.

bani said...

Was that you? I'd forgotten, honestly, I think I just stumbled across the books at the library. But maybe I stopped to look because the name twigged in my mind. :D By all means, take credit. I'm planning to read Hat-Whim, but I'd have to buy it, the library doesn't have it. E-mailed you the other day because ringing didn't work, wanted to know how C was doing! Plz respond. *huff*

Ing said...

Oh sorry about not responding! I'll email you now!

Yeah, I wrote you an email a year ago (?) with a few authors I found good and Cotterill was one of them. At the time you said you were having trouble getting through the books you already had, let alone getting new ones!

bani said...

Mind like a sieve, but probably I noticed the books thanks to that! :)